Friday, September 28, 2012

Blending Technic Tutorial

So, a month ago I had a request for a tutorial on how to make your pictures look like this blended photo on the left (layout is by Lindsay and made with Summertime by Fit 2 Be Scrapped):

I think I finally have the school schedules of all 5 kids figured out, volunteer times arranged, designing under control, CT assignments caught up, and a few minutes before I get to go clean the church with my family, so I'm going to get it posted now before someone realizes they need me because I'm busy ;-)

Alright, let's get down to the fun stuff!  Blending photos is a great way to add a little pop to your page or to use a "less than stellar" photo- you know, blurry, bad coloring...  And it's so easy to do!  My instructions will be for PSE users, but I think you can probably adapt them for whatever program you're using.

Pick the picture you want to use and a plain paper to blend the picture on.  Above the layers bin on the right is a box that you can drop down.  It should currently say "normal".  Make sure your photo that you want to blend is selected and that it is directly on top of your paper.  Click on the box that says "normal" and click on overlay for a quick blend.  Try any of the other styles for different effects.

Now, you'll notice on Lindsay's LO that her picture isn't square, it's erased around the edges.  The best way I've found to do this is to click on your eraser tool with your blended picture selected.  Choose a brush that has soft, blurred edges (I like soft mechanical 500 pixels in the basic brushes selection) and erase the parts of the picture you don't want.  That's all there is to it!  Try turning your picture black and white or trying different colors of paper for your background- oh the possibilities!

Now, if all this makes sense, I'm happy!  If it's clear as mud, leave me a comment and I will answer it the best I can :0)  Have a fabulous weekend!!! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment